ATLANTA SPEECH THERAPY
Expert in-clinic and teletherapy Evaluations and Treatment
We founded Talk About Therapy because we believe in and love providing intuitive, effective, and sustainable therapy to our patients and their families to improve their feeding and communication skills. We pride ourselves in treating our families like they are our own. Our philosophy is to help our patients and their families build a strong, functional foundation towards communication and feeding, and slowly build upon that foundation to create lasting results.
We offer clinic-based and teletherapy Early Intervention Tongue-Tie therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, and Feeding Therapy to families in the Metro Atlanta area, including: North Atlanta, Buckhead, East Cobb, Decatur, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Vinings and Marietta, Georgia.
Our licensed therapist is here to support your child and family with the best individualized care through services like tongue tie and lip tie intervention, speech therapy for kids, speech therapy for toddlers, feeding therapy, and to guide you through challenging experiences such as breastfeeding problems, and knowing what to expect after tongue tie release.
Niti Shah M.Ed., CCC-SLP
Owner & Speech Language Pathologist
Niti Shah M.Ed., SLP-CCC, is the owner and founder of Talk About Therapy LLC. She is a speech-language pathologist credentialed by the board of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
Speech therapy is an intervention service that focuses evaluation & treatment of improving a child's speech & abilities to understand & express language, including nonverbal language. It includes two components: 1) coordinating the mouth to produce sounds to form words & sentences and 2) understanding & expressing language.
Beckman Oral Motor
Beckman Oral Motor is an intervention approach developed by Debra Beckman. The primary function of the Beckman Oral Motor approach is to improve the strength, coordination, awareness and range of motion of the soft palate, tongue, cheeks, lips, and jaw through the use of a variety of exercises that stimulate the oral structures.
Pediatric feeding therapy can address many challenges that you face including but not limited to: breastfeeding issues, increasing oral intake, food aversions, strengthening the oral motor muscles, and moving from tube feeding to oral intake. Pediatric feeding therapy and feeding therapy for babies typically takes place during mealtime.
Tongue Tie & Lip Tie Therapy
Tongue ties occur when an unusually strong band of tissue tethers the tongue to the floor of the mouth, and can interfere with breastfeeding, eating, swallowing and speaking in children. We offer pre-intervention evaluation and guidance for tongue and lip ties and therapy post surgery
WHEN SHOULD I SEEK OUT A SPEECH THERAPIST?
- Speech Delays
- Developmental Delays
- Articulation Concerns
- Difficulty during mealtimes
- Difficulty with eating and swallowing
- Bottle-feeding and breastfeeding trouble
- If you believe your child might present with a tongue or lip tie
- Therapy Guidance following a Frenulectomy or Frenectomy tongue or lip procedure
WHAT ARE SPEECH DELAYS?
Speech delays, also known as alalia, refer to a delay in the development or use of speech mechanisms by young children. Speech delays can manifest in a child’s expression of language, a child’s understanding of language, or a child’s pronunciation of language.
HOW CAN A SPEECH THERAPIST HELP?
At Talk About Therapy we want you to know you are not alone.
WHEN SHOULD I SEEK HELP/EVALUATION?
If you are concerned:
- If you have noticed one or more of any the behaviors discussed, contact us for a consultation or evaluation. For more detailed red flags you can look for in your infant or child, please click here.
- If you suspect a tongue or lip tie may be interfering with your child’s eating or weight gain, we can refer you to expert providers of intervention procedures such as a Frenulectomy or Frenectomy tongue procedure. Our trusted experts can provide you with the information you need to decide if this route is best for your child.
- If you suspect a tongue or lip tie could be interfering with your child’s ability to clearly communicate, we can help you decide whether or not a Frenulectomy or Frenectomy tongue procedure would be beneficial. We can also provide speech therapy for kids or speech therapy for toddlers to teach your child exercises and speaking strategies to compensate for the difference in their lip or tongue.
WHAT IS EARLY INTERVENTION AND WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
Why early intervention and identification are crucial for your child’s progress and development:
- Whenever a child shows signs of difficulty communicating, understanding, or being understood, research recommends that the earlier a child is evaluated and receives services the better. The younger the child, the easier it is for their brain to learn and adapt to the techniques taught in therapy. To learn about communication milestones to look for in your child, click here.
- Difficulties involving swallowing and feeding could affect your child’s nutrition. We recommend seeking help as soon as you are aware of any concerns.
We can help!
If you are experiencing or observing one or more of any of these breastfeeding issues or feeding, swallowing, or communication difficulties in your child, please visit our services page to learn more about how our licensed experts can assist your child and family.